CALLING ALL TEACHERS…!
A Workshop on Osteoporosis for Pilates Teachers and other Exercise Professionals with Liz Chandler
Date: Saturday 8th June from 10.00 - 5.30pm
Venue: Redland Quaker Meeting House,
126 Hampton Road,
Cost: £165/£150 early bird price if booked by May 17th
To book please email firstname.lastname@example.org
On average 50% of women and 25% of men, over 50 years, have osteopenia or osteoporosis. Staggeringly, because it is not routinely tested for, most people don’t even know they have it until they experience a bone fracture - in fact 70% of sufferers go undiagnosed.
It is important that Pilates teachers and exercise professionals understand the facts about bone health. Understanding how exercise and diet can help to build and nourish bone strength, or harm and deplete bone mass is vital in keeping our clients strong, healthy and fracture free.
In this workshop, Liz will be including and building on research and work done by NOS, NOF and Pilates industry specialists who work in this area such as Sheri Betz, Sara Meeks, Rebekah Rotstein and Teresa Marchok
Objectives of workshop:
· Upgrade your knowledge with the latest bone and exercise research
· Learn about bone health and differences of osteoporosis and osteopenia
· Understand Bone Density Scores
· Learn about bone mass and bone quality and how this relates to fracture risk
· Learn how bone mass is gained and loss
· Learn about prevention: diet and exercise - natural approaches to bone health
· Learn about common drugs given for osteoporosis
· Learn about contraindicated movements and exercises
· Learn safe protocols for working with clients with osteoporosis
· Understand how to make educated exercise choices for bone safety and health
· Discuss Pilates exercises value in bone health
· Explore and discuss Pilates and functional exercises that help to promote bone strength
· Understand the duration and frequency of exercise and physical activity that is needed
· Receive recommendations about preventing fractures
· Receive info on resources for current research for bone health
· Receive certificate of completion
NB: This workshop will be mostly theory-based (2/3), in the form of an lecture
Comments from participants who have attended this workshop:
Thank you so very much for a fantastic and informative day on Saturday. I feel so much more confident in dealing with clients who are unsure of what and what not to do. Many thanks and again a really useful day - best workshop me!
Dear Liz…It was lovely to meet you yesterday and thank you so much for a great lecture. There was so much useful information that I can now share with my clients, not to mention some great new exercises!
Plenty of detailed info from strong research. Very clear presentation, good handout with useful space for additional notes.
Previously I attended the BCP Osteoporosis Course so I almost didn’t attend, but I am so pleased I did because I really did learn a lot of additional information, Thank you!